Canada Revenue Agency Information
DID YOU KNOW THAT:
...the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) regulates registered charities under the Income Tax Act?
To protect yourself from fraud, the CRA recommends that you follow the tips below:
Learn more about the Charity
- Consult the CRA Charities Listing at www.cra.gc.ca/donors or call
to confirm that a charity is registered with the CRA.
- Confirm that you will receive an official donation receipt if you want to claim a tax credit.
- Make sure you know who you are donating to. Sometimes fraudulent charities use names that are similar to well-known and respected charities.
- Beware of schemes that promise you tax savings that are greater than your cost. In other words - promises that you will profit from the charitable donation.
- Write cheques payable to the charity, not an individual, or make sure that your online payments are secure.
- Refuse to donate if there is an inappropriate pressure to give immediately or you are offered a receipt for more than you actually donate.
- Report fraud to PhoneBusters, the Canadian Anti-Fraud Call Centre, at: 1-888-495-8501
REMEMBER if in Doubt check out www.cra.gc.ca/donors for more information.